A Material World
Explore Elsecar with your class in this full day KS2 STEM workshop. Pupils will learn about different materials used at Elsecar in the past, visit the magnificent Newcomen Beam Engine and create their own piece of art inspired by industrial materials.
During the day you will:
• Handle a range of different objects including coal, iron and brick.
• Take a tour of Elsecar and discover its industrial past.
• Visit the Newcomen Beam Engine and see it in action to find out about its historical significance.
• Create colourful works of art to take home.
Art and Design
• Pupils will identify and compare the suitability of a variety of everyday materials, including wood, metal, plastic, glass, brick, rock, paper and cardboard for particular uses.
• Pupils will identify and name a variety of everyday materials, including wood, plastic, glass, metal, water and rock.
• Pupils will describe the simple physical properties of everyday materials.
• Pupils will learn about great artists, architects and designers in history.
• Pupils will use a range of art materials creatively to design and make products.
This workshop can incorporate Arts Award Discover in a Day for your pupils – please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.